In our free Thinking Kit App, you can download activities created by us, those shared by other educators (or even learners) or those that you have created yourself. To do so:
- Download the app (click here or search Thinking Kit App on the App Store).
- Launch the app, tap Educator, then New Session then 'Download task'.
- Enter the Task Code (4649 for the earthquake task or click here for other activities).
More information about the Earthquakes (Haiti case study) activity
Topic: Nature, Earthquake, Disaster, Society, Economy, Poverty, Causes
Audience: 11 - 16 year olds
Question: Why was the Haiti Earthquake in 2010 so devastating for the country?
Author: Paul Lawrence
Task Code: 4649
As well as the main question, which is provided in the activity, you could also ask students some of the following sub-questions:
- What were the physical causes of the earthquake?
- What were the human factors that caused so much devastation?
- What were the effects of the earthquake?
- What were the primary effects?
- What were the secondary effects?
- Why did so many people die?
- Be able to sequence the different stages of an earthquake
- Identify both the physical causes and human factors that led to such devastation
- Understand the social and economic factors that have left Haiti vulnerable to natural disasters
- The difference between primary and secondary effects
- Discussion on why Haiti is stuck in a cycle of poverty